Saturday, October 2, 2010

Can Babies Choke On Phlegm

L 'elephant chained (J. Bucay)

"When I was little I loved the circus, I was attracted especially by the elephant, as I discovered later, was the favorite animal of many other children.

During the performance was display of weight, size and strength really unusual ... but after her number, and up to a time before going on stage, the elephant was always tied to a stake driven into the ground with a chain that was keeping one of the legs. Yet the stake was a tiny piece of wood in the ground for only a few centimeters. and even if the chain was large it seemed obvious that an animal like that could easily get rid of that post and flee.

What kept him tied up? ...

I asked around to all the people I met to solve the mystery of the elephant, and someone told me that the elephant did not run away because he was taught ... Then I put the obvious question: if it is taught, because the bind? ". I do not recall having received any coherent response.

Over time I forgot the mystery of the elephant and the post. Luckily for me some years ago I discovered that someone had been so wise to find the answer: the elephant in the circus can not run away because it was tied to a similar post since he was very, very small.

closed my eyes and imagined the elephant just helpless born, tied to a pole that was trying to push, pull and sweating in an attempt to free himself, but despite the efforts did not succeed because that post was too much balance for him, so after several attempts a day he resigned himself to his impotence. The elephant, huge and powerful that we see at the circus can not run away because he believes that he could not do: his skin is embossed on the memory of impotence experienced and has never returned to try more ... he never tested his strength back ... never!

... Sometimes we live like the elephant, thinking that we can not do a lot of things simply because once, a little 'time ago we had tried and had failed, and then the skin we recorded "I can not, I can not and will never."
The only way to know if you can do is try again by putting all my heart ... all your heart! "
Jorge Bucay, let me tell you. Stories for learning to live, 2004, Rizzoli

0 comments:

Post a Comment